Race Across the North
Who: Teams of 5 Explorer Scouts
What: Based on the BBC TV Show Race across the world, Explorers will be challenged to race to a set location via public transport, where they will camp over night and race back. Teams will be asked to visit locations on route and given bonus points for meeting challenges. The winning team will receive a trophy, which they will hopefully defend at the next event.
Where: Start line will be Bradley woods Scout Camp and the finish line will be in the Bradford area.
Cost: £40 per person
When: 7th – 9th July 2023
Where: The teams will be travelling across the UK together to a checkpoint then the Saturday sleeping location. Sunday morning the groups will race to a checkpoint, then the finish.
Cost: The cost of the event is £40 per person. This cost includes 2x nights camping, 2x suppers, 2x breakfast, 1x Saturday Evening meal, Sunday packed lunch, Sunday finish event and transport tickets.
Who: Teams of 5 Explorer Scouts
What: Based on the BBC TV Show Race across the world, Explorers will be challenged to race to a set location via public transport, where they will camp over night and race back. Teams will be asked to visit locations on route and given bonus points for meeting challenges.
When: The event will begin on Saturday morning, but the teams are required to arrive at Bradley woods on Friday 7th July between 6-8 pm. Each team will be registered and given a location to camp and provided supper. On Saturday, the teams will set off and arrive at their Saturday sleeping location some time in the afternoon of the 8th. Sunday the event will finish around 4pm in a Bradford location with a BBQ and Celebration.
1. Each member must wear a Scout Necker throughout the event
2. Each explorer must have the following kit with them
- waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Torch with batteries
- Saturday packed lunch
- Eating utensils, plate & mug
- Full water bottle capacity 1 litre
- Warm jumper
- Walking shoes
- Sleeping bag
- Plate and bowl
(You may bring more i.e., wash bag, sleep wear & sleep mat but you will be carrying this all day so pack light)
3. Each team must have the following kit:
- First Aid Kit
- Tent / Tents
- Pencil & note paper
- mobile phone x2 able to take photos and make video diary
- sunscreen suitable for all members to stay protected
4. Each team must register together
5. Each team must camp under Scouting guidelines i.e., same sex sleeping accommodation only
6. Each team must have at least 2 phones with Whatsapp, this will allow us to track the teams and stay connected.
7. Each team must make a video diary of at least their day one travels this will be used as part of the challenge so be creative.
8. Meals are provided as stated above but you may like to bring along snacks
9. All competitors must always adhere to the country code and public rights of way.
10. You are representing Scouting so each team must behaviour appropriately
TRACKING: .We will be using Whatsapp to stay in contact with teams. Each team will link with the Control on a group chat on the Friday evening and Control will never have one to one contact with the explorers and the chat will be deleted at the end of the event. Please remember that the phones used may need charging on the Saturday evening, so a portable power bank is advisable.
How: Register your team here